Monday, October 16, 2017

Nightmare Fuel 2017 - Midpoint - Damocles the Babysitter

Starting the new week with a modern take on an old story, as well as meditations on the dangers of social media and the price of fame.

We also get two more takes on parenthood from Samantha Dunaway Bryant and Kary Gaul.

My take, as always, follows.



Damocles the Babysitter

She was famous, and not for doing anything in particular. You know the kind. "Famous for being famous" is what they say. You weren't shy anbout



From: Superstar01
I don' t usually respond to hate-tweets, but you seem to have an issue with me.

To: Superstar01
Sorry; I didn't think you'd read that for real. And it's not you, but everything you have. People LISTEN to you. Even on here.

It just isn't fair that you have that power and I don't.


From: Superstar01:
You don't know what you're asking for, but... how'd you like a taste for, say, two weeks?

I'll re-tweet, republish, and push everything that you say to my followers. All fifty-six million of them. You'll know what it's like to be listened to.

To: Superstar01: 
Is this a trick? Is there a catch? You think I'll quit because people say mean things at me? I'm pretty thick-skinned.

From: Superstar01:
No catch. And I wouldn't dream of  thinking that you'd back down.

To: Superstar01:
Fine. Let's do this then.


Two weeks pass, the way time always does. There are stupid comments and harassment, but there are also block-lists. It wasn't a bad deal.

To: Superstar01
I don't know what lesson you wanted me to learn. It was a little rough at times, but overall it was great.

So many dumb comments, but that's really SO easy to deal with. I hate to say, it, but I think you're kinda soft.

From: Superstar01
Maybe. But know this: those pictures you took back in college? They're still out there. And you have a kids, don't you? THEIR pictures and indiscretions will be out there too. Someone will find them, and make them pay for angry they are at you. That's the price you pay. It's the price you'll always pay.

Still think I'm soft?

No comments:

Post a Comment